Saturday, July 11, 2009

Catalog writer's 1st steps

One of the first things I did once I decided I wanted to write copy for catalogs is I determined what my interests are so I can write with more knowledge and passion in that particular industry. I came up with 19 different industries. Here they are (with the most knowledge and interest I have in them first)...

Top Interests
1. basketball
2. computers
3. martial arts
4. electronics/gadgets
5. cars
6. movies
7. tennis
8. cigars
9. sports & recreation
10. clothes
11. music
12. sneakers
13. food
14. pets (dogs and cats)
15. telecommunications
16. real estate
17. video games
18. hardware/tools
19. home improvement

When I contact catalogs for business I start with the industries I have the most passion for, i.e. basketball is my number one industry and I know there are quite a few catalogs circulating that center around basketball related products. By the time I get to number 18 and 19 I'm hoping I've contacted a few hundred catalogs. That should be enough to keep me busy for now.

The second thing I did was wrote out some samples for potential clients to put my writing on display. You can view my first 5 copy blocks on my website.

Also with the help of a few sites on the internet I created a query letter to send out to catalog owners and directors. That query letter is below...

Name
Title
Business Name
Address
Address

Date,


Dear Name,

My name is Garren Washington and I am a copywriter specializing in catalogs.  I am seeking the opportunity to write copy blocks for this catalog. I have enclosed a few writing samples as well as all my contact information.

Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you soon.



Regards,


Garren Washington

My address
Raleigh, NC
718-213-XXXX
catalogwriter.blogspot.com
catalogwriter.net
catalogwriter@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment